Wednesday, August 25, 2010

A Professional Tennis Player?




All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
~Walt Disney


This video was taken about 6 months ago. I debated about 
whether or not to even put it on. Brady's game has improved
so much this summer...and he is now hitting much harder and using top spin.
I need to get a new video!



A man can succeed at almost anything for which he has unlimited ENTHUSIASM.
~Samuel Goldwyn

Anyone that knows Brady... his coaches,
friends, players, family... knows he
is enthusiastic about tennis! 



This is how it all began.  A couple of weeks before Brady's fifth birthday, Eric and I bought two tennis raquets and a couple cans of balls at Walmart.  We thought tennis might be a fun way to get some exercise and would be something different to try.  We also thought Brady would enjoy running around the court collecting the balls for us.  And he did.  Twice.  On our third outing...Brady wanted to play too.  He has loved the game ever since.  I'm not sure where this enthusiasm comes from?  You see, we thought we were going to be a basketball family!  My husband played basketball and was a highschool basketball coach.  I played basketball and was a highschool basketball official.  We love basketball.  However, in the last two years we have learned about tennis and have loved watching Brady play. 








For the past two years, Brady has talked about (almost daily) wanting to be a professional tennis player.  In the summer, he plays tennis almost everyday.  Whether he is doing a tennis camp, a clinic with other kids, having a private lesson or just hitting with mom and dad...he can never get enough.  He knows and loves the game.  He practices on the courts, the street, the driveway, inside our garage (if it's raining) and sometimes (if I'm feeling nice) our livingroom.  I often wonder at this rate...how old will he be when he gets burnt out? 













Brady's first doubles match.  He always plays with the older kids.
I'm not sure if he's a big fish in a little pond or what...but it's good for the confidence...that's for sure!




Brady took his Christmas money and bought himself a new tennis
raquet from a pro tennis store.  He calls his raquet "buddy".
























When Brady was five, he told us that when he's a professional tennis player, he will buy a house near the park where we play tennis...so he won't have to waste time driving to the courts...he will just walk.   He is too funny!











Sometimes I feel guilty because I often complain about too much tennis!  It's tennis all the time in our house.  Brady is always asking me to go play.  And sometimes I just don't want to.   Thankfully Daddy will take him to play at the drop of a hat.   Brady wants to start playing in tournaments this winter...which means our weekends will be spent traveling.  As parents, we want to provide him with the best opportunities to get him to where he wants to be.  On the other hand...I want to protect him (as best I can) from life's hard lessons.  I understand to achieve anything, it requires a great amount of belief in yourself, vision and hardwork, determination and lots of dedication.   The old saying that all things are possible for those who believe....isn't always the case.  Not everyone can be a professional athlete...no matter how hard you try!






Two things Mom and Dad do know for sure:
1. We love him to pieces!
2. He's the cutest darn tennis player we've ever seen!






16 comments:

jules said...

He IS the cutest tennis player I've ever seen. I love his determination and enthusiasm.

Karen said...

wow! I am amazed. That is one coordinated (and adorable) boy you've got. Future pro for sure!

Jen said...

Isn't it great when they find it on their own....it's not basketball...it's his passion!!!
Love it!
And Emily played volleyball against our living room wall. Yikes! Not so much anymore now that she is so much stronger.
It's awesome that you have that video, too! He makes it look so easy. Whenever I play, I am running all over the place and feeling way out of shape.
Have a great day!

Susan R said...

Brady has got it goin' on. Loved the video. He has great follow through and he's ready for his next shot the second that ball leaves his raquet. He's goin' places....I can tell. SERIOUSLY!

kim {the non-mom blogger} said...

It's so interesting when kids find their "thing". How fortunate for him that he found it at such a young age...I'm still searching for mine ;)

{cindy} said...

I love it when kids (anyone really I guess) have passion for things they love.
Good for Brady for finding it so early!!
He looks truly happy with his "buddy"!!:)
Enjoy the day

Nicolle said...

Brady is a pretty cute little tennis player! :) I love his enthusiasm for the game. I think he has found his calling. I don't think he will burn out. I think it's awesome that he loves it so much. I understand though when you worry about hard life lessons, but those will make him stronger and better. I think having a love for a sport like this is the best thing for a child! It's great that you and your husband support him, but it's also ok for you to "complain" a little. I understand! :)

Stephanie said...

He is just adorable! I think it's awesome that he found his passion. It's a great sport, that's for sure. I love the video and all of the pictures. :) I love his racquet he calls Buddy. That's so sweet!

CB said...

He is such a handsome kid and he totally looks like a little RockStar Tennis player!
I LOVE it, seriously, Love it when kids have a passion for something. You don't have to nag them to practice - they WANT to do it, they push themselves and learn to set goals.
It is just the greatest thing! Sounds like Brady is all over tennis and it is a passion for him. What a great sport!

Jenny said...

He totally looks like a pro. I am so excited because I just signed my two big kids up for lessons. I cannot wait to see how they do. It is thrilling to see your child thrive in something, whatever it may be. He looks so darn cute. He'll love these pictures someday.

Pam said...

I love that he wants to go pro! Watch out Federer!

Nicolle said...

hey there. my email is:
njweseman@yahoo.com

thank you for the compliment on my header. I can't wait till it gets cooler and make a Fall one!

ps. i'm going to make your buffalo chicken dip in the next few days. i will blog about it! :)

Jess said...

He is cute!

LOL...yes, I was messing with my blog...still a work in progress.

angie on maui said...

Hi Kerri,
Thanks so much for commenting on my blog the other day; it is always nice to have new visitors! This post just made me smile; I love that your Brady has already discovered a passion at such a young age. I have to agree with one of your commenters (Susan) above - I watched the video and thought the same thing! Your guy is going to be gooooooooood! I come from a family of tennis players and if they had a chance to watch the video too, I think they would have to agree! :)
Aloha,
Angie

Kat said...

He is so adorable!!! My oldest, who just turned five is taking lessons and loving it as well. Tennis is such a great sport, and a lifelong one at that. Hooray for discovering his passion at such a young age!

Dan said...

Grandpa is really proud of Brady and would love to see him play someday.

 
site design by designer blogs