Monday, January 30, 2012

Weekend Update



Our weekend was a busy one!
Friday night Eric and Brady went to a basketball game while I worked a banquet.  Saturday morning Eric had his first tennis clinic with some of the high school kids....and afterwards Brady had his first basketball game this season.   His team won, and he scored 4 points!  He looks more comfortable out there playing than he did last year!

  On a side note.  I want to include this so I always remember.  There's a boy that Brady says is a big bully in the other 3rd grade class.  He was in Brady's class last year...and Brady has told me many things the last couple of years about the mean things this boy has said and done.  So, this boy taunted Brady all week about how his team was playing Brady's team and they were going to kill them.  Now, I'm sure much of this is normal boy teasing..and not a big deal.  Brady's team ended up beating this kid's team by 10 or 15 points.  A butt whoopin'.  I don't think this boy touched the ball the entire game.  I asked Brady what he was going to say to this boy in school today and he said, "I will probably say nice game." What?!  You're kidding me?!  I would have said....boy we beat you bad!  Or SCOREBOARD! :)  Brady said, "no mom...I'm not going to stoop to his level."   I can learn much from my son.


Brady is #11.




Saturday afternoon Eric and Brady played doubles for a couple of hours at the courts with a girl from the tennis team and her brother who plays tennis and is in college.  Eric said Brady was in his glory.  Anytime Brady has the opportunity to play with others, he is one happy kid!  Now if we could only find someone his age he can play with!




I made this Saturday evening for Eric's poker night with the guys.


Bacon ranch bread


This was before I put it in the oven and the cheese got all melty and gooey.   It is filled with ranch butter and cheddar and bacon.  When it came out of the oven, I tried a tiny piece.  Oh.my.word.  It was so good.   You can find the recipe HERE.



Brady and I were invited over to a friend's house Saturday evening.  Brady's friend Colin had a group of boys over.  It was really nice for Brady to hangout and play with boys his age.  He doesn't do enough of that.  My friend Michelle made us lemon drop drinks.  I need to ask her how she made them...because they were so good.  We enjoyed our evening...it was nice to sit and visit with friends.  I rarely invite friends over to our house because I think I need to have a big "to do" or whatever you call it.  I need everything to be perfect, the house, the food, my floors, etc.  And because of this, I miss out in the friendship department.  I need to change that.



Brady and Eric were up at 4am Sunday to watch the Australian Open Final.  They woke me up at 5:30.  It was just my luck the longest final every played in final history.  The match lasted 5 hours and 53 minutes!  Whew!  That's a lot of butt sitting on our part!  It was a great match played by two incredible players.  Both players were winners in the end in my book.   This guy, Novak Djokavich took home the trophy.





Sunday evening Brady had a match at the raquet club.  He played a high school boy that he has played several times before and has never been able to beat him...although the matches have always been close.   Eric calls this kid "tennis rainman" (not to his parents of course!) because the boy is always able to keep the ball in play.  He may not have the hardest shot...but he is always able to get to whatever ball comes his way.  Anyway, it was Brady's night because he won 10 of the 11 games they played.  I was so excited for him.  But, as usualy Brady doesn't let us celebrate until we are out of the facility and driving away.  We high-fived and Brady told us a couple of shots that he thought were good...and that was it.  He had his face in his DS the rest of the way home.  I tried to get a few pictures while Brady was playing...but they all came out blurry.  I rarely even take my camera to the court anymore.  So frustrating.  We've tried to video tape matches too and it's darn near impossible.  I wonder if we could hire someone to do a video? 


I mean, he's not going to stay this cute forever!





14 comments:

Jen said...

Busy weekend for sure. Congrats to Brady! That poor high school boy had to have known Brady was going to beat him soon. We use a FLIP camera to video the volleyball games and set it up high on a tripod looking down on the court. Maybe you could try that. Some people use PVC pipe and a twisty tripod to get the camera up really high. Try googling it. Have a great week!

Kris said...

Was Brady born mature? He is a humble boy with a lot of class! Good for him! That bread looks amazing. Think I will make it for game day next weekend! Glad you had such a nice weekend!

Megan said...

Brady is such a cool kid! Love that! And that bread...holy cow!

sloan said...

omg, that brady never ceases to amaze me - the story with the bully? the improvement in tennis? his modesty about it all? what an incredible young man you have, kerri!! i was thinking of you as i picked up on parts of the australian open finals yesterday - what an incredible match - those two are such terrific gentlemen, too, what a pleasure to watch! amazing!

ok, now that i've gotten that out, can we talk about that bread?!?! whoa ... i'm linking up for that recipe asap!!

Stacy said...

Whew! What a weekend. I might make the recipe for Kyle's b-day next week. Thanks for sharing!

Donna said...

Brady IS adorable AND smart too!! To say he'd say "good game" to take the high road...he's been taught well!!

PS. That cheesy loaf looks to die for!!

CB said...

Wow you guys have been busy. And you have another sport on top of tennis - You Go Mom!!!!
Brady sounds like he is a natural basketball player too - just a way talented kiddo. I also love how mature he is (about that other kid) most kids his age don't think like that - way to go.

Now about the bread.....Ohhhhh myyyyyyyyyy!!!!

Holly said...

Is it fair to say he is my favorite kid?!?!

I mean, I know you don't want to be boastful, but you do know that he is an AMAZING little guy, right?

I would be thrilled if my boys grew up to be 1/2 the kiddo that Brady is.

He is so mature and thoughtful!

--Yay for friend time! It is much deserved!!

Cindy said...

Brady is awesome...! My kids have been in similar situations where "winning" turned out to be more important to me (shame on me) :). My son is thinking of quitting baseball because of another pitcher he pitches against...even though my son has "beat" him. Ugh...takes the fun out of it.

Omg...that bread might have to be our Super Bowl bread!?

Mmmm, lemon drops! Haven't had one on a loooong time! Thanks for sharing - I thought of you when I heard how long the Australian final went!

Jenny said...

Yay Brady! Love that he is trying basketball again. All that cross training will surely help his tennis.

He is so awesome. I would have totally wanted to kick that kid, but I am glad he was a gentleman.

I must say that bread looks and sounds amazing but I know I would eat the whole thing. I better not even make it.

Erin Deegan said...

that bacon ranch bread looks sinfully delicious! so glad brady's team beat the bully's team. i'm also so happy that brady is taking the high road. it shows what a great kid he is!

Nicolle said...

I've seen that bread before online, and it looks amazing. I bet the guys loved it! I think I would eat half of it at least. Yum.

Brady is such a great kid. You have done a good job with him! He looks cute in that last picture. :)

Happy Birthday today!!

KM said...

Way to go Brady! What a nice kid. :)

I saw that bread on Friday, too!! I want to make it.

Kim said...

Brady, you rock my world with your grace and class. He is an old soul in a boy's body.

And I hear you on the not inviting people over thing. I am the same way. It stresses me out b/c I never think things are "good enough" to have people over. Yet I love to go over to friends' houses and just hang. No frills. Among the piles of folded clothes. I need to be more relaxed and let it happen here too.

 
site design by designer blogs