Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Wonder

 
"You can't blend in when you were born to stand out."
 
 
 
I read this book this past weekend.  I kind of stumbled across it in the recommended section of my Nook.  Without realizing it was a children's read, I downloaded it and began reading.  And, I couldn't stop.   I am in love with this book.  It's truly a heart warming story about the human spirit and kindness.
 
  With its strong bullying message, I hope that this book will make its way through elementary and middle schools everywhere.
 
I talked to the guidance counselor at Brady's school yesterday and he read the book about a week ago and has already ordered books for our 5th grade classes.  They will be doing a whole class read with small group discussions.  When they are finished, they will be passing the books down to the 4th graders.  I am absolutely thrilled.  When I was talking to our guidance counselor, he said that the one character in the book reminded him of Brady because of the way he befriended a boy in his class and was an example to his peers.  I didn't realize the guidance counselor knew about that...nor had I made that connection myself in the book.  A proud mom moment for sure.
 
There are so many life lessons in this book.  I will definitely be getting a hard copy so I can go through and highlight all the good stuff.  Brady is in the middle of reading it now.  I am hoping once he finishes, we can read it again together.
 
I wasn't quite sure why the book was called Wonder.  I looked up the word in the dictionary.
 
wonder (verb) 1. to think or speculate curiously. 2. amazed admiration or awe.
 
 
It does make me wonder what kind of person I am to others.  Being kind is a choice we make.  I hope I always choose kindness.

 
I hope you will go out and get the book to read with your son or daughter...you will be happy you did!
 

"Shall we make a new rule of life...always try to be kinder than necessary?"
                                                                         ~J.M. Barrie

12 comments:

Val said...

Thank you for recommending this book!

jen said...

I got this book for Lily for Christmas. I haven't read it yet, but she loved it. Now I'll have to go dig it off her bookshelf.

Hey--any tennis tourneys in AZ that you need a place to stay? We'd love to have you!

Jen said...

Thanks. We will absolutely check this out. We watched a movie recently called Freedom Writers. We talked about how most people who bully need love they may have never received. It is easier to treat each other with kindness when you know their story. Everyone has a story...from the bully to the super smart. Kindness is key!

Kris said...

Sounds like a great book!!!! Thanks for letting us know about it.
You should be very proud of your son!!! He is a wonderful leader, it sounds to me like!
xo Kris

Jen said...

Charlotte! Yes! :)

Sarah said...

Thank you for the recommendation! I'd love to read it with my boys.

Holly said...

I will look it up!!

Stacy said...

I am going to check it out for my sixth graders.

{cindy} said...

i looked at the library for this book today and it was checked out!! we are reading it for sure. i love reading "childrens" books. they seem way better then when we were kids right?!:)
thanks kerri
have a happy night

PS
love the new blog look.
did you do it?
where was your header from? something easy that doesn't need updating sounds wonderful!!:) haha

KM said...

At our church, we have committed to always error on the side of grace. I try to do the same in life, I'd rather give too much grace and kindness - what do I have to lose?? Nothing!
And you just might change someone else's life perspective with your example.

yaya said...

It's so simple to make a small moment a big moment for somebody else. A quick smile, letting someone go ahead of you in the store checkout, a helping hand. It's so sad that bullying is a huge problem...why? I understand kids can be mean, but are they getting good lessons at home? You should be proud of Brady for being a good example and being kind. It should be the best proud Mom moment! I'm going to get this book. Thanks for the shout-out!

Jill said...

Hayley read this at school and said what a wonderful book it was. I need to add it to my reading list as well. Hope you are having a wonderful week!

Blessings,
Jill

 
site design by designer blogs