Saturday, November 24, 2012

Our Black Friday Suprise!



 
 
 
Yep, we have an addition to our family!
 
Brady has been wanting a dog for a few years and this year he has been saying that it's the only thing he wants for Christmas.  We explained to him that a dog just wasn't going to work for us...and that we were sorry.  However, after months of thought, discussion and debate, Eric and I decided that we would make it work for our family.
 
We had planned to suprise Brady on Christmas morning with a dog.  We had it all planned out.  We would pick up the dog on Christmas Eve and our neighbor would keep it until Brady was asleep.  We would then bring the new puppy home and put a bow on her for Christmas morning.  But, as we all know, things don't always work out the way we plan for them to.
 
 
 
Brady spent the night at Eric's parents Thanksgiving night so that Eric and I could do a little Black Friday shopping.  No one knew we were actually looking at dogs.  We had appointments lined up all day Friday to see different puppies we had researched.  (In order for me to not drive my family crazy, we needed to get a dog that didn't shed.)  Steffi was our first stop...at an Amish farm not far from Brady's school.  When we pulled in, they had her in a little fenced pen in the driveway for us to see her.  She was chasing a leaf all around in a circle.  When I picked her up, she laid her head on my shoulder.  Our other two requirements- a dog that would be playful and chase Brady around, and a dog that would be able to sit and cuddle.  Anyway, we both really liked this dog.  We left there and went to see another dog and then headed to lunch.  Eric and I weren't very excited to go see all the other dogs and felt in our heart that she was the one.
 
We had already asked the Amish lady when we were there if she would be able to keep the puppy until Chrismtas Eve.  She said she could...although we would be missing out on prime housebreaking time.  After lunch, I called the lady back and told her we wanted the puppy....today.  We were not going to leave her there for another month.
 
We picked Brady up later that afternoon and told him we needed to go pick up the new fridge we bought....and headed out to the Amish farm.  When we pulled into the farm, she was again in the driveway waiting to be picked up.  Brady went right over to pet her....and that's when we told him the dog was his to keep.  He laughed at first and thought we were joking.  I think he was in shock most of the evening!
 
 
Brady named her Steffi....after Steffi Graf.
She's 14 weeks old.
Steffi follows Brady everywhere he goes and loves to be held.
She chases him in the backyard.  She wants to be near someone at all times.  And, she fetches tennis balls! :)
 
We love her already.







20 comments:

yaya said...

Brady is such a mature kiddo and I can tell he'll help take great care of her. I think she's adorable and she seems to fit just perfectly. I'm so glad he got his Christmas wish early! Enjoy!

Stef said...

Oh my gosh! That is so great. There is something about a dog. We have 2 dogs. But the little one is a girl and it really fills a need for my daughter. Hope your Steffi does the same for Brady!

Lynda @ Happenstance Home said...

Oh so adorable! I was apprehensive before we got our dog - it turned out to be the best ever! Oh, the love!

Kris said...

That is so exciting Kerri! The picture of Brady cuddling her is just adorable!!! I hope she is the perfect fit for your family. And I LOVE her name!!!!
xo Kris

Steelers6 said...

Ohhh my word, is she ever adorable! Hee
hee hee!! Love her.

The 2 of them will make a pretty cute photo
for the Christmas card!

What breed is this that doesn't shed, Kerri?

Now it will be hard to refrain from buying Brady
much more for Christmas. Maybe some puppy
stuff, right?

Congratulations!
Chrissy

Cindy said...

Oh my gosh I am sooooo happy!! She will bring you so much joy and probably already has!! I hope the training goes smoothly for you...in the end it's all worth it!! She's sooo sweet! Congrats!!!!

Holly said...

She is pretty dang cute!! And it looks like your sweet boy loves her!

Barb said...

Aww, Steffi! That's such a cute name, and I love that he named her after a tennis player. My boys want a dog so badly...but I'm not ready. I can't wait to hear how it goes for you and if it turns out to be a lot of extra work. Have a great week!

Oh yeah...And Steffi, cutest dog ever.

Jen said...

She is so precious! I'm glad you didn't wait!

Genn said...

Aw this is just too cute.
And that pic of Brady cuddling with her is just precious!!!!!!

Nicolle said...

Steffi is so cute. I love her name! Brady looks so very happy to have her. Love the pictures, and this post.
xo

Stacy said...

How exciting!!!!

I caught the best part, tennis ball fetching. It was destined to be true!

Happy house training.

Kelli said...

What a cutie with a cute little name.
How fun your your son! He looks pretty happy.:)

Val said...

What a precious addition to your family!!! SO CUTE.

Jill said...

Congratulations! I love her looks like just the type of dog I love! Enjoy every moment, you have one very happy boy there! Have a great weekend.

Blessings,
Jill

Dan said...

Wow Kerri, looks just like Chrissy

KM said...

She is SO cute!! I am so happy for Brady!
Hope you got some rest after all of that tennis this weekend!

Cathy M~(checkitoff) said...

She sounds perfect!!! Congrats Kerri!! How exciting!! hugs, cathy

Kim said...

i can't believe I missed this post! what a wonderful story. I hear you on the "you just know" moment with a puppy. I had that moment with my one and only true love dog I got right out of college. And then again with Buster. We've had other dogs in between but I never "felt" that bond with them. I'm so happy for all of you! Enjoy her. :)

{cindy} said...

the girls are really starting to ask for a puppy!:) our "plan" (but we all know how those go!) is when aubrey goes to kindergarten.
we'll see!
she is a cutie.
love the story.
i know brady is one happy boy!:)

 
site design by designer blogs